Sunday, March 4, 2012

E is for Expressing Spirituality Every Day

Yeah, that's got two "E" words, next week I'll be out of "E"s.


In our world, day and age, there seems to be a separation of spirituality and secularity (is that even a word?!) that runs rampant. Organized religions present a very good example of this (I went to church, ok, that was my good deed for the week) but I'm sure the chasm between is probably also an issue sometimes for individual practitioners of any religion. It's easy to get disconnected.

And I mean, I do it too. I'm not constantly thinking about how to be a good Pagan when I'm at work, or working out, or any of that. I go to The Land to rest and reconnect with nature when I can, but the rest of the time, how do you drive like a Pagan? How do you do your job like a Pagan? How do you check Facebook like a Pagan?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Paganism for me isn't just a thing that happens when I burn some incense or meditate or go to Four Quarters. It's a way of life. It's a lens through which I can experience the world. I feel like part of being a Pagan, for me, is finding ways to express my spirituality every day.

For example, I love walking through Center City Philadelphia on my lunch break and just feeling the way my muscles move, feel the sidewalk under my shoes, watch squirrels and birds forage for food on the sidewalks. Is it nature? No. Is it a ritual or spell? Not really. Is it really that spiritual? Only really if you make it; only if you put the awareness into it, and say, this is what I'm experiencing now.

And you might say "well, feeling your muscles move and watching birds isn't really expressing spirituality" but it is... you're expressing it to yourself. There's nothing less expressive about expressing something inward, just because nobody else sees or hears or feels it.

Some ways I like to express spirituality to myself through awareness or pleasure:
--watch the sky for at least ten seconds whenever outside. It's simple, easy, quick, and grounding.
--blast music in my car, and just be a part of the music while driving
--eating an avocado by itself. I don't know why, this is just such a rich experience to me.
--playing in the snow, rain, or autumn leaves
--putting moisturizer, perfume or body oils on my skin and taking a moment to breathe it in
--writing or signing my name
--noticing the way light and shadows fall
--watching my boyfriend play a game
--feeling how fabrics feel against my skin, be it clothes, sheets, etc

It's all about awareness, and living in the now. Living and making life enjoyable is the ultimate expression of spirituality.

Love,
<3 Sapphire Orchid <3

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post!

    I wasn't sure about where it was going at first, but your list at the end tied it all together beautifully.

    I like that you included putting on moisturizer (something I do every day, but might need to become sacred anyhow) and eating an avocado. I am horribly lacking in fruits and veggies in my diet, so when I take the time to slice up an orange or a mango or apple, there is always a special sensation to it. It's not completely apparent, just a feeling in the back of the head. Naming it now, it's another thing I may need to make sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post! You've given me some great ideas of how to make the mundane sacred, so to speak!

    Still, when you were saying "doing X like a pagan" I had the Lonely Island song "Like a Boss" playing in my head, albeit with different lyrics :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Now we need to make a parody video!!! lol

    Thank you all for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete