Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Handfastings is for H, briefly.

I didn't get a chance to post Friday or the friday before that or the friday before that because I'm super lazy.


So, Handfastings. This is an interesting term that can encompass a whole variety of meanings:
  --As a synonym for marriage
  --As a synonym for engagement (i.e. kinda like a practice marriage, or a test marriage, which I believe is its origin, at least in the Celtic world.)
  --As a fancy and/or meaningful addition to an otherwise non-Pagan wedding ceremony


Totally and shamelessly lifted from dailywicca.com.

All of these things are just fine, but handfastings really resonate more with me as a marriage in and of itself. Sure, the part with the cords are symbolic and fancy, like in the third meaning I listed, but I do think that one can be handfasted without actual handfasting cords. The idea is that you're giving your hand to the other person to hold forever. All the fancy stuff, cords and candles, something borrowed, something blue really all just kind of falls away when compared to the fact that this ceremony is happening because you want to make it so that someone you love is never lonely without you again. The fancy stuff is fun, but you are fastening your hand to theirs, before the earth, before the people, and before the Gods.

That being said, a kickass dance party afterwards can't hurt. ;)

That's all I can manage for today. I'm surprised I even did this considering my laziness.

<3 Sapphire Orchid <3

No comments:

Post a Comment